Boilers are a standard heating system in both residential and commercial properties. Although different types of boilers offer a wide range of features, they mostly perform the same function. Boilers heat water, and then distribute it through a building via a piping network that channels through the walls, ceiling, or floors. Most boilers are powered by natural gas, oil, propane, or diesel fuel.
Modern boilers are also powered by electricity. Newer systems have received praise for their high level of efficiency. Below, we provide a quick guide to the boilers we install in homes and businesses throughout Central Wisonsin. If you are currently in the market for a new boiler, then contact us today, and we can go over all the features of benefits of a brand new model.
3 Main Types of Boilers
Boilers are also referred to as central heating systems because they are installed somewhere in the middle of the building. The positioning allows the unit to distribute evenly to every room. Most boilers fall into three categories:
● Gas-Fired Boilers. Gas-fired boilers are fueled by either natural gas or propane. This type of fuel makes them energy-efficient. Natural gas is typically less expensive than propane.
● Oil-Fired Boilers. Companies will use oil-fired boilers if there is a low supply of natural gas or propane. If you choose oil-fired boilers, then the oil will be delivered to you. The delivery costs will affect the overall price of the oil.
● Electric Boilers. Electric boilers use less energy than gas or oil-fired boilers. Electricity, however, is not as efficient as fuel-based systems, even if electric models are more fuel efficient. Before investing in an electric boiler, you’ll need to determine how much money, if any, you’ll save.
What to Consider When Buying a Boiler
Now that you know the types of boilers you can choose from there are other factors to consider before you decide which model to buy. For instance, think about the following:
● Climate. If you live in Minneapolis or St. Paul, Minnesota, a boiler is an ideal choice for your home. A central heating system keeps your entire house warm no matter how cold it is outside.
● Fuel Type. It’s difficult to estimate which type of fuel is the most cost-effective. If heating oil prices are high, gas-fuel boilers may be the way to go. A lot of it will depend on which type fuel is available in the East Central Minnesota area.
● Size. Something else that determines how efficient your boiler will be is the size of the unit we install in the house. A larger unit will use less energy because it will heat home much faster. Our heating specialists can help you determine which system is right for you.
● Heating Only. Remember, boilers only heat your home, not cool it. We’ll need to install an air conditioner separately so that you can cool your home in the summertime.
Steve’s Plumbing & Heating Can Install Your Boiler
No matter what type of boiler you need for your home, you can count on Steve’s Plumbing & Heating to custom-install a system to your exact specifications. We offer boiler installation, boiler repair, and total system for residential properties across Wisconsin Rapids and Stevens Point, Wisconsin. For a free estimate call us at 715-421-1800, or you can message us on our contact page.