Leaky pipes are more than an irritation. They cost you money. Experts estimate the cost of a leaky pipe includes more than the pipe itself. Leaks can lead to structural damage around the house, expensive plumbing repairs, and mold mitigation.
Below, we estimate how much money leaks are costing you and your family. Steve’s Plumbing & Heating offers complete plumbing evaluations and repairs for homeowners in Minneapolis, Minnesota. If you would like to know more about the cost of plumbing leaks or schedule a plumbing inspection, call us today at 715-421-1800.
How Much are Your Leaky Pipes Costing You?
You may not realize the full extent of the damage a small plumbing leak can cost. Below is a list of potential damage around the house and the average cost of repairing the damage.
● Drywall damage: $400
● Mold remediation: $500 to $1000
● Hardwood floors: $12 to $30 per square foot
● Swell floorboard replacements: $1000 to $1500
● Average plumbing repair: $300 to $500
And the cost of a dripping faucet…
Leaks can happen anywhere in the home. In many cases, homeowners either don’t know that a leak is occurring or they choose to ignore it. If you fall into either of these categories, here’s how much a small leak is costing you:
● Dripping faucet: 90 liters per month and 347 gallons of water per year.
● Pipe leak: 970 gallons in 24 hours
● Running toilet: 200 gallons of water a day
● Leaky showerhead: $20 per month
● Leaky or damaged pipes: $100 per month
● Leaky toilet: $75 — $100 per month
And the average cost to fix a dripping faucet or pipe:
● $120 — $180
If you compare the total monthly or annual costs of allowing your pipes to drip or hiring a professional plumber to fix the leaky faucet or pipe for you, you’ll quickly notice that you come out ahead financially, by hiring a plumber to fix the problem.
How do You Know that Have Leaky Pipes?
Not all plumbing leaks are easy to spot. Some of them are hidden deep down in your home’s foundation or throughout the walls. There are some signs, however, that we can look for to tell that there is an opening somewhere in the plumbing system. Some of these include:
● A significant increase in your water bill or water meter reading
● Traces of mold or mildew in critical areas like the bathroom or the kitchen
● The sound of water running underneath the house or through the walls
● Discolored ceiling, walls, or floors
● Cracks in the foundation either inside or outside the house
Get Your Plumbing System Inspected and Repaired
The solution to saving money on your water bill each year is to get your plumbing inspected by a Steve’s Plumbing & Heating specialist. We perform complete inspections that cover every part of your plumbing system.
We use both advanced equipment and our years of experience to detect leaks no matter where they are in your home. We will identify the key issues plaguing the network and then let you know what needs to be done to fix them.
To find out more about our plumbing and heating services, call us at 715-421-1800. You can also message us on our contact page.